- Our business
Sustainability since 1913.
Read here what it means to us:
- We have been operating since 1913 and have always been under family ownership. To us, sustainability means thinking and planning generations ahead. Many of our employees have been with us for decades.
- Throughout the company’s history, we have experienced constant, sustainable growth. There has never been a redundancy dismissal. On the contrary, every year we have created new jobs and provided training beyond mere requirements.
- We offer our employees above-average wages and attractive fringe benefits.
- We have financed our own growth - without credit or stock issues. This has kept us independent. Nonetheless, we are the top shoe retailer in Europe.
- We began in 1913 in Essen, in Germany’s Ruhr district. Although we’re now active in 23 countries, we feel attached to this region and continually expand our company headquarters here.
- When investing in administrative buildings and shops, we use modern, environmentally friendly technology, such as solar energy, heat pumps and energy-saving lighting designs. This is why the distribution centre in Bottrop - which, with a surface of 40,000 m2, is the company’s largest - received the 2003/2004 Nordrhein-Westfalen government’s Ökoprofit certificate. In a second expansion stage in 2007, many enlargements were made on ecological principles.
- For most of our transport routes, we use ships and trains.
- In 2010, we added special eco styles to our offerings of certain brands, such as Elefanten and Medicus.
- It goes without saying that we comply with numerous legal environmental restrictions - it’s our duty, after all.
- For pollution testing, we have set our own strict standards that surpass legal requirements.
- To us, sustainability also means doing everything to make sure we can offer our customers great shoes at great prices in the future.
- For decades, part of our profits have been used to finance aid projects that are close to our hearts - in Germany, India, Africa and Moldova.